Pages

Saturday 13 August 2022

Too busy and too hot

My dear little van and I have run around together every day this week, but none of it has been "interesting" fell walking / camping / campervan stuff. Just terribly ordinary bits & bobs, but no less lovely for that.

I am nearly the only person I know who does not find this heat too much - but as I am retired I can pace myself, stay out of the sun in the middle of the day, and choose where and when I go out. This heatwave has almost given me permission to sit around and read at times during the day when I would normally be doing something, and I think my long-Covid fatigue is much better as a result. Hmm, there appears to be a lesson here ðŸĪ” ðŸĪ” ðŸĪ”.




Earlier in the year I took up a new sport and to my surprise and delight found I am rather good at it. So much so that I have had competitive matches two days this week followed by a long & hot afternoon of coaching. So that was Blue Bus and I out for three consecutive days.

There has been gardening early in the morning before the sun really gets going, grass cutting and Himself bravely got the brush cutter out and took down one of the wildflower meadows. We have let the 'hay' dry for a few days but this weekend I really must make time to rake it all up. The other patch happily seems to have developed itself into a late flowering meadow so we will leave that for a few more weeks.



There has been laundry, and general housekeeping and grocery shopping, and a trip to the hairdresser yesterday afternoon to be greeted with "it is always lovely to see you but you're 24 hours early". I definitely had it written on my diary for Friday and suspect the mistake is not mine - I never go to the salon at weekends when it is busy and noisy. But this afternoon I will be back for a much-needed trim and a tidy up.


Those small bottles of water go in the fridge and are handed out to all delivery people who are ALWAYS so thankful, it continues to stagger me there are some people around accepting parcels but not offering drinks to the hard working staff who are saving us having to go out. It was the same during lockdown ☹️.


In the midst of all this relatively mundane and normal activity there are no plans to go away in the Blue Bus and add a few more miles to my Coast By Campervan project. But at present that is not a problem - campsites are never my favourite places in the middle of school holidays and with temperatures reaching silly-degrees it would really not be pleasant trying to sleep in a tin can. At lunchtime yesterday my thermostat recorded 28˚ indoors, and that was despite having had all the windows open since getting up and all the blinds pulled to keep the heat at bay. When I went to the 'not-a-hair-appointment' it was even hotter.



(Good grief, that thermostat needs a damn good clean, how embarassing . . .)



I have often quietly mumbled that if I were ever to go missing the best place to start searching would be Portugal. I know of a small place inland in the middle of the country, where tourists seldom venture. Once upon a time I nearly moved there and occasionally I wonder what life would have been like had I not been too afraid to take a leap of faith all those years ago? But now I look at 40˚ heat, drought, wildfires and terrible devastation . . . and perhaps there was a reason I did not move? This week is probably the hottest I have experienced since moving to Cumbria and whilst we have had rain the reservoirs are low and stocks of bottled water in the supermarkets are lower than usual. I think everyone is a little worried (and those who are not and blithely say they are not affected are probably idiots).







21 comments:

  1. So what's the new sport then? You can't say you've taken up a new sport which you're good at and then not tell us what it is! Oh, and when I glanced at that photo of the bottled water etc in your van (without my reading glasses on and without clicking on it initially to enlarge it), my first thought was "Why has Jayne got a big pile of yellow courgettes, does she hand them out to delivery people along with the water?!".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courgettes - ha ha! I know how many people are regretting growing them this year - they always produce a glut and this year seems no exception.

      Delete
  2. You're getting out and about in your van which is nice in itself then nothing wrong with sitting and relaxing with a book at home and good that you feel all the better for it. I agree, retirement is great, no pressure and plenty of time to do things at your own pace. I'm afraid this heat is too much for me, I would never want to go to Spain or Portugal as I'm not a sun worshipper. Your marigolds are a gorgeous colour and how lovely to have a wildflower meadow in your garden. A nice idea to hand delivery drivers a drink of water, our Tesco delivery driver yesterday was complaining about the heat in his van. I don't even want to put my pup in the car, it's far too hot for dogs in vehicles with their fur coats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, we will have to agree to differ because I absolutely love the heat, always have done. 🌞

      The wildflower meadows have been a great addition to the garden - saves so much time during the summer by not mowing, and they are constantly filled with bees, other insects and birds. It is a win all round.

      Anyone who thinks they can leave their dog in a vehicle in warm weather should be shot and banned from keeping an animal - all this rubbish about "it was in the shade and the windows were open", makes me very angry.

      In summer I always have water on hand for delivery staff, in winter I always offer to fill their drink mugs. A teaspoon of coffee and a bit of hot water costs me nothing but could make a big difference to how someone feels.

      Delete
  3. I'm absolutely loving this weather, I've been known unfriend people on Facebook when they moan about the heat all the time. You are thoughtful handing out water to delivery drivers.
    Our works camper is really cool to sleep in - it's the awning that reduces us to a sweaty mess - this festival season you'll mostly find me outside the stall eating my fruit & yoghurt in my knickers.
    I'm sure I've mentioned it before but trader pals of ours moved to Portugal five years ago and still maintain it's the best thing they ever did - if it wasn't for b*stard Brexit we'd be living in Greece.
    I'm intrigued over your new sporting activity. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't be doing with all the complainers either - if you are too hot then dress sensibly, keep your curtains drawn and sit inside in the shade. It is how Mediterranean countries cope, so why can't we? I get rather annoyed at how stupidly so many Brits behave in hot weather.

      I have a vague (and envious) recollection of you mentioning your friend moving and hope they got all their residency documentation sorted - it is a nightmare at present. More bloody Brexit . . . I'm not sure who I hate more because of it, Cameron or Johnson.

      Delete
  4. I can understand those having to work at the moment moaning about the heat, it's no fun if you're having to wear uniforms or you're stuck in an unventilated office. As you say, we're lucky being at home and being able to choose if we go out in it or not, and being able to find a cool place to enjoy the weather. I enjoy these balmy evenings, we were sat outside till nearly 11pm last night watching the bats flying around, and Archie was happy because he found a bit of relief lying on the patio, it was finally cool enough for him to get some rest. I agree about dogs in cars, I wouldn't dream of leaving Archie in a car unattended whatever the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, how lovely to sit outside and watch the bats. Apparently an adult can eat 3,000 midges per night - what clever little creatures they are! Glad things are not too bad for Archie.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I too am very lucky in that I can avoid the sun and stay at home in the relative cool of the house, I do feel for all those who have to work in it, well except for the people working in our Booths store who almost need to wear fleeces as it's SO cool in there. I have purposefully not ordered anything for delivery over the heatwave so I haven't seen any drivers to hand drinks out to, but like you that's something I usually do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, I know I am not the only one to provide drinks for the delivery people.

      I agree with what you say about the supermarkets - I was in Sainsbury's about 07.45 yesterday and it was SO cold in there my hands had still not thawed out by the time I got home.

      Delete
  6. The weather this last week was perfect for our jolly out - however our day works around walks that are either alongside water (for Moss) or woodlands (for Moss) or preferably both (for Moss!!) she is such a 'demanding' girl!
    We have had on occasion park up and keep Moss in the van when have been on holiday - but when that happens, we find as deep a shady parking spot as possible, one of us stays with her and if possible we have the doors open and she has her bed in the doorway with a bowl of water. Whoever has stopped with her often sits with her and we read while the other has gone shopping etc. Especially when the weather is as warm as this - the van soon becomes an oven when the shade moves.
    When I worked at the vets, we would get heat exhausted dogs nearly every summer holidays rushed in - a horrible experience. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well of course your day works around walks and caring for Moss - it shouldn't be any other way 😇 ðŸū 💚. Always makes me chuckle when I see (usually) a chap sitting on the open tailgate of a car talking to the dog whilst waiting for someone to come out of Sainsbury's/Aldi/insert retailer. We used to do exactly the same thing.

      As always, 'respect' that you managed to work at a vets without braining some of the idiots who claim to love their dogs and then treat them dreadfully. I am avoiding news at present because I don't want to accidentally find out about pups who have suffered during this heatwave.

      Delete
    2. We were at our local agric-show today and the care taken for the animals by the organisers was excellent - events that were deemed unsafe in the heat were cancelled (like the terrier racing) but I was not impressed by the amount of sheep panting open mouthed in the full sun for several hours. Some owners had brought gazebos or huge garden type umbrellas for their animals and they (although still warm) were less stressed, the ones in the full sun in full woolly coats looked so hot. One of the organisers went home and got a water bowser and pressure hose and filled the air at the animal pens with a fine spray of water - he deserved a medal!

      Delete
  7. I'm sure Blue Bus will get plenty of use when the time is right. A busy campsite would not be my choice either. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules, you are absolutely correct. I never want to be on busy campsites and in this weather I think it would be horrid.

      Delete
  8. I am new to your blog and enjoying reading about your Blue Bus. I love caravanning too and have just had a week away but as it is winter here in Australia it is a bit cold but the benefit is that the caravan parks are almost empty so they are very quiet. I am looking forward to our warmer weather here and 28C would be lovely, but I guess I am used to high temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosie, welcome to my little blog and thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.
      TBH, I rather liked our +28C last week but the UK is just not used to high temperatures.

      Delete
  9. I'm another who can't stand the excess heat, BUT I do enjoy being outside. So I draw curtains to keep the house cool and my very cheap version of a gazebo in the garden is to peg out a cotton throw over my Whirligig washing thingy (technical term) and place a canvas chair in the shade that's created. Wonderful to enjoy a light breeze while I sit and watch the birds, listen to the bees (and occasional raucous squawk from the local gulls) while I read my Kindle and drink coffee . . . or wine as the clock advances! In the winter, when my neighbours retire into their houses, I'm the idiot who sits in the garden with a warm fleece on reading, watching and listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry, only just found your lovely comment lurking in the dratted Spam folder.

      I love your 'cheapo gazebo' - one of my dogs always used to lay in the shade of laundry hanging on the Whirligig, wonder if I can find the photos?

      Another one here who has been known to sit outside in a coat and gloves! Who gives a damn what the neighbours think 😝

      Delete
    2. I don't give a fig what the neighbours think; in my youger years I would have done, but with advancing years, I really don't care. I SHALL wear a purple hat and no drawers!!! So there!

      Delete
    3. 😂 ðŸĪĢ ðŸĪŠ I feel the cold far too much to go without undies but I do have a red hat which doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me. I am trying to make up for the sobriety of my youth, and already go out in my slippers in the rain 😘

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by, and to those who leave a comment, they are all very much appreciated 😎.

Comment moderation is enabled for posts older than 3 days. However, Blogger is still randomly assigning Spam designation to comments which are most definitely not and sometimes it takes me a while to find them and click publish, sorry if yours is delayed.

Because so many of us are having trouble getting Blogger to accept a sign-in so that we can leave comments I am trying the risky strategy of changing the settings to "Anyone". Spammers will be deleted as soon as I notice them.