Pages

Saturday 18 November 2023

Priorities ?

This is not a "complaint" blog because multiple times a day I realise how incredibly fortunate I am to be in a position where too much to do in the house and garden is an exceptional privilege, and one I do not take for granted.

BUT, does anyone else sometimes think they have their priorities stuffed up? Right now, that feels like me.

There has been something of a radio silence here because in the past few weeks all Blue Bus has done is take me to various retail outlets. Even those trips have been only on the seemingly rare occasions when I am not busy doing things here or recovering from doing things here. First off there's the garden - at this time of year trying to get cleared up before winter is an ever-present on the To Do list. Let's just say with a named storm every two weeks and almost daily rain in between I have pretty much given up on the idea of completing that task.

Then there has been the replacement of four more windows which leaves me with three rooms to decorate. Blue Bus knows exactly how to get to B&Q and the paint is sitting waiting.





Then there was FINALLY getting the builder we trust to enlarge openings in the house undercroft and install proper lintels so that we can safely access underneath the floor. The rolls of insulation are still getting in the way in the kitchen . . . but it's already taken 15 years to get to this point so I am not fretting about it.



Then there were many hours splitting logs and finally filling up the log store for the coming winter. A task we usually try to complete by August, clearly that schedule was a fail in 2023.



Which brings me back to priorities. Yes it is important to look after our property and I am fortunate to be able to do so. BUT I'm also 15 years older than when I started this stupid project and I don't have the energy to work at it all day every day. Going out on the fells might be tiring but it re-energises me and restores much of what makes me "me". And it is the one thing I am absolutely not making time for.

My priorities have to change, but I guess realising that is the first step and writing about it here is a way of holding myself accountable. Am I the only one who gets sucked in like this?






10 comments:

  1. I suppose that, looking back at my life, I have always been governed by priorities: many of us have even if it was the priority of putting food on the table and looking after the family. It's been a long time since I had to give any thought to priorities: most.(or at least many) of mine are dictated by the medical treatment which keeps me alive and active and well. Such priorities as I have are 'micro' and involve only what my plans are for the coming week. I'm one of the fortunate ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graham, you are right that your hospital schedule is a vital priority and I am so glad it is there for you, x

      Delete
  2. I hear you. It's mind boggling how much work needs to be done on the exterior of our house. Like you, we buy the bits we need, pile them in a corner, keep looking at them and then book a holiday to escape the guilt of having done nothing about it. Ah well, the house has been standing since 1750, another few years isn't going to hurt!
    I really must get some work done in the garden before the rain starts but here I am, still in my work out gear reading blogs instead! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Vix, you have no idea how much it helps me to read that we are not alone in sourcing all the products needed for whatever the latest job is to rear its head . . . and then look at those items for far too long until we use them.

      Delete
  3. My house has never been my priority. As long as it's standing and I am warm and dry, that will do for me. It needs a lot of work doing to it, and I don't want to be bothered with the mess. No point in spending a lot of money on it because when I sell it the buyers will probably rip everything out and start again. My garden is tidy, don't want the neighbours to think I am a slob, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilona, we are in the same position as you - just maintaining and keeping warm & dry. I suspect if we were to sell up a new owner would rip the inside of this house to shreds.

      Delete
  4. It can be hard sometimes, knowing what to prioritise at any given time. Like you, I need to get up on the fells but I've been trying to prioritise getting some small jobs done on the house. Right now, I am juggling work, family and maintaining the house.
    I have a feeling that I have too many balls in the air, and not sure which one I will drop first. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules - it’s the endless plate-spinning, isn’t it? I was just about to go “sod it” and ignore all the house & garden needs and concentrate on walking when I did my shoulder in, again. Now I can hardly get myself dressed 😂 .

      Delete
  5. I can assure you that you are not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debby, apologies it has taken me so long to find your comment in the Spam folder. Sorry.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by, and to those who leave a comment, they are all very much appreciated 😎.

Comment moderation is enabled for posts older than 3 days. However, Blogger is still randomly assigning Spam designation to comments which are most definitely not and sometimes it takes me a while to find them and click publish, sorry if yours is delayed.

Because so many of us are having trouble getting Blogger to accept a sign-in so that we can leave comments I am trying the risky strategy of changing the settings to "Anyone". Spammers will be deleted as soon as I notice them.