Pages

Monday 18 December 2023

Go outside. Sit down. Wait.

Morning all, been a bit quiet around here, hasn't it? No reason other than 21st century life getting in the way and seeming to consume nearly all available hours, plus a 10-year-old shoulder injury decided to make a return visit and that has somewhat slowed me down. But in the context of political lunacy, economic uncertainty, climate change and wars in places there really should not be conflict, I am bloody brilliant!

No, seriously, I am brilliant! Yes I am in pain, yes I am having disturbed sleep because of the shoulder pain so I'm tired all the damn time (oh, how I hate feeling tired), yes there are things I cannot do right now because of the shoulder pain. But those restrictions are occuring in the protective bubble of a warm house that does not leak or have rooms filled with black mould. A house we own that is not at risk of a Section 21 eviction order (read this article, it's unbelievable in a supposedly civilised society). The freezer is full and my store cupboards have enough food to keep us going until someone feels like making a visit to the supermarket.

So wherever you are, whatever you are coping with, whatever the Universe is currently chucking at you, I hope you can deal with it with a level of peace. And if not, then leave a ranting comment here and be guaranteed my sympathy and some (hopefully not empty or meaningless) words of support.

With a holiday season approaching at the speed of a Hogwarts locomotive there will be a chance for many of us to get outside a little more than usual. As the weather continues to be cold, windy, wet and sometimes all those things at the same time here's some Required Reading: Every year Tim Budd, a member of a Mountain Rescue Team and extremely experienced fellrunner and outdoor chap, re-publishes this superb article.

Please have a read and take a moment to think: "how long would you be comfortable if you went outside, sat down, and waited . . ."


Tim Budd - Tested to Destruction blog



Love and festive hugs to everyone.







8 comments:

  1. Yes. I constantly remind myself that I am truly one of the fortunate ones, despite some sadness, pain, and worry in my life. I am well housed, well loved, warm and well fed.
    Your fire is beautiful! Counting down the days here to the return of light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, your attitude and approach is absolutely right. Only 3 more sleeps until Solstice, x

      Delete
  2. Sorry about that pesky shoulder and hope you manage to get some proper sleep and that the pains does one very soon.
    Yes, I consider myself very lucky, too. That Polly Toynbee article is awful, the way some people are having to live is more like Dickensian London than the 21st Century in one of the richest nations on the planet.
    Your wood burner looks very cosy. That's another thing to be grateful for, it's been very mild here so ours hasn't been on in weeks.
    As always, I'll be tuned into English Heritage's live feed from Stonehenge on 22nd December and celebrating the days getting longer again next week (something I find far more exciting than Xmas!) Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a66kvYnGc_c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Vix, you’ve described the Polly Toynbee article perfectly and it is quite, quite awful.
      It is relatively mild here too, but I put the woodburner on instead of central heating when I can, much nicer to sit in front of the flames.

      Delete
  3. Is that your hearth? It's so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, what a nice thing to say. Yes, that is my sitting room.

      Delete
  4. Christmas aside, it's the time of year I dislike the most. These gloomy days do little to lift the spirit and I find myself looking through photographs of long summer days and happy times at the lake.
    It's good to be reminded of our blessings, and be safe in the knowledge that the winter solstice will soon be upon us.
    Your fire looks so beautiful and welcoming. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year I keep reminding myself that plants & trees are resting, animals are hibernating, at one level we should do the same. But it’s hard when the weather is so incessantly dull, dark, gloomy and wet.

      You know how I love that woodburner 🤭 🔥

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by, and to those who leave a comment, they are all very much appreciated 😎.

Comment moderation is enabled for posts older than 3 days. However, Blogger is still randomly assigning Spam designation to comments which are most definitely not and sometimes it takes me a while to find them and click publish, sorry if yours is delayed.

Because so many of us are having trouble getting Blogger to accept a sign-in so that we can leave comments I am trying the risky strategy of changing the settings to "Anyone". Spammers will be deleted as soon as I notice them.