Pages

Monday 15 April 2024

Chalk and Cheese

Sorry it has been a bit quiet here: ghastly, ghastly never-ending rain, strep throat, technology issues.

The first two I can do nothing about, but the third has been fixed. After my last mutterings about a heron visiting the garden I caved to the inevitable and put out the wildlife camera. I stopped doing this years ago because in a 24 hour period it could capture so many images that the time taken to quickly review them all could be substantial and it became quite a chore.

However, binoculars had identified two different heron - a smaller one with black feathers on (her?) lesser coverts and a larger creature with virtually no black on this area. As I currently have no desire to stand at a window for hours with a large camera it made sense to use the Bushnell to get a better view. Trouble is, that was not happening and it took me a while to learn/realise/find out that a 10-year old camera which has seen a lot of hard service had finally failed. The last straw was standing at a window watching a heron stomping around the pond, going to the camera immediately to check the memory card and finding not a single image had been taken of the visitation I had just watched.

Bit the bullet and bought a replacement camera for significantly less than the price I paid for one a decade ago. It has just had its first sleepover:








Many years ago I had to learn not to be upset that a sparrowhawk was hunting in the garden and taking small songbirds. I came to see it as an indication of the health & biodiversity of Bag End, a measure of success in creating a garden that was of benefit to local wildlife. I've not yet fully made that mental adjustment in respect of Ardea cinerea but as I cannot stop these beautiful creatures visiting the garden I might as well try to embrace them.

Chalk and cheese - there is no comparison between the new and old cameras, wish I had done this sooner.







For Marlene - this is the camera I bought at the weekend: Wildlife camera



14 comments:

  1. We have been thinking of getting one, just showed hubby your photo's, I would love a camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene. I have just added a link to the blog post. Early days but I am delighted with this new camera, I also have some daytime pictures (just of pigeons ☺️) and the quality is superb compared to the old Bushnell.

      Delete
  2. I had no idea about all those different names for various feathers and bird parts.
    A Heron is something I'm never going to see in my small enclosed village garden - I have bird spotting envy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I am starting to appreciate my extremely large visitors, I just wish they'd leave the newts alone 😢

      Delete
  3. Your Heron looks huge on those shots. We have quite a few Heron along the river in town and occasionally they come across to the canal so we see a bit more of them. The most surprising bird in our town is a lone Peacock ... his name is Kevin. Seemingly he escaped from a large house a few years ago and now spends his time wandering the town and even strolling down the footpath along the main A6. New people to the town pop up on the Facebook group regularly warning people of 'an escaped peacock' and everyone comments 'Oh it's just Kevin don't worry'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs Heron looks huge because she is, and this is the smaller of the two birds who seem to visit regularly. 🤭

      Can’t stand peacocks, there are a small flock of them in the village which fortunately do not wander near my garden too often. Destructive, messy little buggers.

      Delete
  4. Nice photos! I need to get our camera back out, although I doubt we will get anything too interesting here---probably deer and our dogs, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are worse things than a camera capturing unexpected pictures of your dogs pottering about. I have many images like that of Daisy and they are lovely to look back on.

      Delete
  5. They are great images, Jayne. I don't think I'd have anything quite as exciting visiting my garden at night. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be careful what you wish for Jules. Late yesterday afternoon I watched TWO of the darn creatures fly into the garden. Something in the road scared them off before they got pondside.

      There are far too many (now deleted) grainy pictures from the old camera which still contained enough detail to confirm the I now have far, far fewer newts than before 😢

      Delete
  6. Those photos are amazing, that heron looks like he's stepped out of a Victorian Chinoiserie panel. I know they're buggers for eating my mate Adrian's prized Koi carp, but they are such fabulous looking creatures.
    Sorry to hear about the poorly throat, hope you're feeling better now. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no doubt the heron are beautiful, but they are deadly to anything aquatic and smaller than they are. Throat on the mend, thank you, x

      Delete
  7. Wow - such clarity on those pics. We have herons in the Plantsbrook where I sometimes run. The level of the brook and proximity to the path mean that you are often pretty much face to face (or beak to face?) - and yes, they are huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello matey, lovely to have you visit. Yes, a fully grown male heron is massive - I reckon the one who visits here stands at least 1 metre tall, possibly more.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by, and to those who leave a comment, they are all very much appreciated 😎.

Comment moderation is enabled for posts older than 3 days. However, Blogger is still randomly assigning Spam designation to comments which are most definitely not and sometimes it takes me a while to find them and click publish, sorry if yours is delayed.

Because so many of us are having trouble getting Blogger to accept a sign-in so that we can leave comments I am trying the risky strategy of changing the settings to "Anyone". Spammers will be deleted as soon as I notice them.