Pages

Tuesday 2 April 2024

I am not sure how I feel about this . . .

For reasons which do not matter, this morning I did a search across my entire hard drive using the term "POST". I have a Mac computer which is running Ventura (I know that Sonoma is available . . . just not got there yet). I did not find the document I was looking for. However, my search results included:

A photograph taken nearly 20 years ago on the stunning island of Iona -



A fabulous memory from last year in Scotland which has already been published on this blog -



And an almost forgotten little bit of pure Americana, photographed at the Botanic Gardens in St Louis, Missouri, many many years ago -




None of the photographs have any tags or keywords. None have anything in their file name which relates to a postbox. This is just a sample, there were many others.

My operating system has not just searched for file names but clearly is actively scanning the file content. I am really not sure whether this is a good thing or not, and if it is happening on my little desktop machine, what the hell is happening on state-of-the-art systems running all sorts of incredibly clever recognitition software?

It is also extremely likely that I am the very last person in blogland to realise this happens . . .




10 comments:

  1. I think the internet is a wonderful thing - however did we find out stuff, or even communicate, before? But I also think it's very scary - everything we write or do online is scanned and we then get adverts for things similar to what we've looked at or mentioned. And that's only one scary thing. I prefer not to think about it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Sue, unless you are battened down with a VPN and a TOR browser I suspect every single internet thought you and I have has been captured somewhere.
      Which, given that there are major world/planetary problems which need to be sorted, strikes me as a vast waste of intellect and resources.

      Delete
  2. Search engines can be so complicated, finding the right words to get to where you want, is often here more by luck than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right - Google is your friend IF you ask the right question.

      Delete
  3. I know this post was not exactly what you had in mind when you opened your computer this morning however I absolutely delight in your random photo archive and stories - made my day! xx and suppose the rather tenuous link is post 'box' and seeing that google has been 'trained' to find things, it found you three POST related items 😖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, now you have mentioned it, it's obvious just how much you would enjoy all three of those random pictures, xx Of course, the Glenelg picture had me looking through my own holiday archive and strengthened my resolve to get back there!

      Delete
  4. What a nice trip down memory lane, even if not what you expected to find. I too think the net is both good and evil, but it is such an integral part of life today. I would not want to be without it, for how would I ever have been able to follow the little blue van?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Sue, our lives would be so different without the technology that we have become so used to. When misused, like anything, it can be terrible but it can also do such good things.

      Delete
  5. What gorgeous photos even if they weren't hat you were expecting.
    You lost me on Mac, I'm afraid. I'm such a Luddite it's untrue! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Vix, there are times when I find Luddite a very attractive alternative!

      All you missed was my having a muse/grumble about the ability of my personal computer to not only look at file names but look inside, at the contents of each file (whether that be a word or a picture), and correctly identify what it contained. Which meant I then deliberately went off to search for dog, beach, van and all sorts of other terms which make me smile and then thoroughly enjoyed the vast amount of time I 'wasted' scanning through the results. Lovely way to dig up rarely visited pictures on my hard drive, xx

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by, and to those who leave a comment, they are all very much appreciated 😎.

Comment moderation is enabled for posts older than 3 days. However, Blogger is still randomly assigning Spam designation to comments which are most definitely not and sometimes it takes me a while to find them and click publish, sorry if yours is delayed.

Because so many of us are having trouble getting Blogger to accept a sign-in so that we can leave comments I am trying the risky strategy of changing the settings to "Anyone". Spammers will be deleted as soon as I notice them.