Pages

Wednesday 23 August 2023

"Just think of something lovely"

Isn't that what Anaesthetists say as they are putting you under? "Just think of something lovely as you drift off to sleep". This day was one of those (up there with Torridon) I would bring to mind if ever I have to have surgery.

It started with a drive up Mam Ratagan pass, a steep and narrow old military road and through Glen More to get to the small hamlet of Glenelg. I had built up this road in my mind as being something difficult, still spooked by the trip down to Plockton. My mind was being stupid and it was a glorious drive - loads of passing places, decent road surface, most fabulous views. That was when I realised the reason the Plockton road had been so ghastly was because it was deeply wooded on both sides for much of the way making it more like driving in Devon: limited visibility and no chance to respond well in advance to other vehicles.



I did not linger in Glenelg, I was keen to head towards Gleann Beag down a dead end road to two of the most intact, fabulous brochs which remain in Scotland - Dun Telve and Dun Troddan. Although a couple of thousand years more recent than the Neolithic buildings I had hoped to explore on Orkney, these really did not disappoint and I spent far more time than any other visitor just sitting and thinking. Why were they built, how were they built, how were they used and by whom?



First, Dun Troddan:







click on this to enlarge if you want to read the info.












Parking THIS close to this much history? Amazing.




Something I have noticed from my many visits to Clava Cairns is that if you take your time then it is remarkably easy to "out stay" every other visitor and have the place entirely to yourself. Most visitors arrive, walk around the site, take photos, leave. Google claims that the average length of stay at Clava is 30 minutes and the same can be said of these amazing places.

Dun Telve:

















Sunshine, complete silence except for the ever-present Golden Eagles soaring overhead (more about them later in the day!) and thankfully not much distance to cover. I was hobbling around having done something incredibly stupid that morning. I "mis-stepped" getting out of the van first thing and turned my left ankle over. Hurt like hell but firmly strapped I was able to limp around slowly whilst giving thanks I drive an auto and did not have to think about a clutch and changing gear. But it was painful and meant I did not walk further up the valley to a chambered cairn and another broch. I really HAVE to go back!




I eventually tore myself away from this gorgeous valley and headed back to Glenelg, and on to the tiny spot where the Kylerhea ferry connects with Skye. After my fears about the Orkney ferry I contemplated taking this little turntable vessel the short distance across to Skye and then driving back to my camspite via the bridge. I parked at the cafe, bought one of the most crap cups of coffee I'd ever had accompanied by the most superb chocolate brownie ever to pass my lips (which I eaked out to three portions, it was far too unctious and rich to eat in one go!) and wandered down to the slipway.

And after a while I slowly walked back to the Blue Bus, gently patted her and whispered quietly "don't worry sweetie, we're not going on THAT", and took several deep breaths to calm the adrenaline because I knew I was not getting on a bloody ferry 😧. This fear is going to make some future explorations a bit difficult and one I am going to have to work at overcoming.








All things happen for a reason though. Instead of driving back via Skye I had to return the way I came - back through Glen More stopping at the viewpoint at Bealach RΓ tagain.



I settled down on a bench with a drink and binoculars. Sure enough, there were the Golden Eagles - again - and as I could just about see Morvich in the distance I knew these were the same birds I had been watching from my campsite. They are very territorial and would have been the same pair I had seen at the brochs. Then the silence was thoroughly disturbed by a large group of visitors on massive bikes. Who parked up, got out their binoculars and came to watch the birds with me for the best part of an hour.






After being on my own for nearly two weeks the company was lovely, and with a group mostly from the north-east of England the non-stop jokes and gentle banter was hard to keep up with at times and hugely entertaining. We agreed that we could see a large juvenile who'd parked himself at the top of a nearby pine, possibly after a big feed, with what was probably Mum watching from another tree 100 yards or so away, and occasionally Dad (?) doing a flyby to make sure the family were OK. One of the bikers was very a knowledgeable birdwatcher and it was lovely to talk about behaviour, territory, food sources, and generally geek out.




A thoroughly special day, left me thinking (not for the first time) "Goddess, I am so lucky to be doing this".











16 comments:

  1. I've never visited those brochs although we have one on Lewis which has a fair bit of it still standing. You really will need to take a deep breath and bite the ferry bullet at some time if you wish to see the Scottish Islands - which have so much to offer. I rather enjoy the little Skye ferry simply because it is so personal and small unlike the relative behemoth I travel on regularly. I rather envy you the eagles. We have Golden Eagles and Sea Eagles but I rarely see them. Your posts are also making me realise that it is many years since I have done anything other than drive through most of Scotland with my eyes on the road. I do stop occasionally to take in the views and see certain places but I'm usually driving through on my way somewhere. In the meantime I shall enjoy it vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham, you are absolutely right about the ferry and I ~have~ to do it. There is a plan, fermenting slowly in the back of my brain . . .

      If it is any consolation, now I live in the Lake District I rarely get out there and enjoy that which is on my doorstep, something I intend to remedy over the coming Autumn/Winter.

      Delete
  2. Love to see the stones so tightly packed to form walls and steps, I always have to touch them, connect with other hands coming before me, they are a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too! Have to touch, connect, try to imagine those people.
      The stonework is exceptional - no mortar and absolutely no gaps. These brochs would have been dry, warm and windproof.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful views! My brother has a VW camper... I can't remember if it's a Transporter or a T4... sometimes I wish I had one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki, great to hear from you again. Your brother has excellent taste 😊.
      All these vans are Transporters, the number just denotes which version. T4 is 1990-2003, T5 was built 2003-2015, and mine is a more recent T6. Hope you get your wish, they are lovely vehicles.

      Delete
  4. Wow, what an incredible area! The history in those duns are mind blowing. I think I could spend hours there just looking at the stonework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) It is a wonderful area and there is so much more history that I have not seen yet.

      Delete
  5. Just wonderful. I'm finding myself contemplating getting a van of some sort, with every post of yours that I read. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jules, thanks for slogging through so many back posts and all your comments. xx

    The amount of time you & Lily spend outdoors I can see a van enhancing your adventures in a lovely way.

    I cannot recommend too highly something which could also be a daily drive: with some basic foodstuffs always in a cupboard and a set of outdoor clothing packed away you could zoom off whenever the mood takes you (such as on the way home from school, after the weekly grocery shop, or just "because"). Or, depending upon what you already drive have you ever looked at/considered the semi-permanent "pods" which can be slid into a car to make it a semi-campervan?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those brochs. How bizarre and yet how very cool and sensible. I too have to touch the stones in ancient places, wondering about the hands that laid them.
    I love ferries, but used to have a terrible fear of bridges. Go figure. I got over it somehow and now love to cross any kind of bridge.
    I do hope the ankle healed fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, the ankle was a one-day-wonder and soon forgotten about, and well done conquering bridges!

      Touching those stones, wondering about the women who cooked, wove fabric, gathered food, raised children - so different from our modern lives. But these people were the same as - they had dreams, plans, loves, losses. Gives me shivers trying to imagine it all.

      Delete
  8. I love those brochs. It beggars belief that the average stay is 30 minutes, I'd be there for hours! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot fully articulate how incredible these places feel but I think you understand. We need to find a festival in the area for you to trade at next year 😜

      Delete
  9. How do people go somewhere as magical as that and leave after 30 minutes! I would be walking around, then pondering on everything, then sitting and drinking it all in before a final wander around to set it all in my mind. You could come and pick me up after a couple of hours if you really wanted to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Err, because they are Muggles?

      Seriously, I think for many folk, these days travel is a tick list - arrive, Instagram it, leave. And you can easily do that in half an hour. And the places I seek out rarely have big car parks, and no cafes or gift shops.
      Which is great - means other visitors move on quickly and leave the place quiet for you and me, xx

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by, and to those who leave a comment, they are all very much appreciated 😎.

Comment moderation is enabled for posts older than 3 days. However, Blogger is still randomly assigning Spam designation to comments which are most definitely not and sometimes it takes me a while to find them and click publish, sorry if yours is delayed.

Because so many of us are having trouble getting Blogger to accept a sign-in so that we can leave comments I am trying the risky strategy of changing the settings to "Anyone". Spammers will be deleted as soon as I notice them.