Pages

Monday 21 August 2023

Morvich: hit a wall

After having to completely change carefully made plans, being constantly on the go for ten days and driving hundreds of miles it was about time I "hit a wall". Thankfully a metaphoric one and not a brick-built item which would inflict damage on darling Blue Bus. After Plockton I travelled a little further to the Caravan Club site at Morvich. The moment I pulled in everything just "breathed out", the body sagged and relaxed and I knew I wasn't going anywhere for quite some time!



Although not as remote as Altnaharra, it is still in the middle of nearly nowhere and absolute bliss. I had the choice of pitches on this large site and for a while had this quiet, sheltered section completely to myself.






The views from within the site were stunning - mountains all around, and the silence was absolute apart from the regular overhead keening cry from a pair of Golden Eagles. I settled down and apart from walking from the shower and the water tap, and the following afternoon gentle few miles down an adjacent track, I did not move or do anything for nearly two days. I needed the downtime and it was bliss. An extremely strong mobile signal providing some YouTube & David Tennant on Amazon Prime may have helped. 🤣




There are no photos - even with my big Canon I would have struggled to take decent pictures of these magnificent birds - but over the course of the whole trip I spent a lot of time with binoculars and watching eagles is, in my mind, one of the highlights and defining activities of the holiday.






My walk was nothing major, just a couple of miles along a stoney track and then back again but it was fabulous.











I took some (useless) video at the point on my walk where I turned around and promised/swore to myself that I would return and do some 'proper' walking. Which gives me some strong motivation to build up my strength and fitness over the winter.



Where the track ended and real walking began was a delightful group of homes, I was told one is a sort of "hobby farm" and there can be up to 20 beautiful stags in this field. Whilst they are often out on the hill they're not stupid, and like Callum, know where there is a reliable source of food if they cannot be bothered to forage. I only saw three but they were magnificent chaps, and unlike truly wild deer they knew perfectly well I was watching them but ignored me and carried on eating.

The two-legs also have an easy supply of food - across all of the western area I saw Asda vans almost every day apparently driving in from as far as Inverness.










12 comments:

  1. Living in the crowded south, it's easy to forget that we do still have areas of wild and open on our Island. - Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words about my pictures. I often think that this part of Cumbria is remote but I completely revised that belief during this holiday 😊 .

      Delete
  2. Stunning photos again, we loved sites where we could park with loads of space, the peace is breath taking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would have enjoyed Morvich, it is one of the best sites I have ever been on.

      Delete
  3. That was the perfect spot to stay for a few days and relax. What glorious views. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Sue. I'm still trying to work out if I have ever been to a better campsite, it is certainly "up there" if I ever make a list of favourites.

      Delete
  4. Morvich is a 'good place' to be in that it's just far enough off the beaten track to be wild but within reach of places of interest and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Graham, it is not as isolated as those glorious views might imply.

      Delete
  5. That looks like a perfect place to park up for a while. I remember watching Golden Eagles when I was on Mull. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you writing about that - I was more than a little envious because you saw Sea Eagles as well as Golden Eagles!

      Delete
  6. I can feel my pulse slowing down just scrolling through these photos, what a joy it is to travel with you, Jayne! xxx
    PS Plockton was where Hamish Macbeth was filmed. I feel the need to rewatch the series now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vix, I am so glad you're enjoying the vicarious holiday.
      Makes me feel less of a leech for almost inhaling every picture of your festival experiences knowing it is unlikely I will ever attend any of them.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by, and to those who leave a comment, they are all very much appreciated 😎.

Comment moderation is enabled for posts older than 3 days. However, Blogger is still randomly assigning Spam designation to comments which are most definitely not and sometimes it takes me a while to find them and click publish, sorry if yours is delayed.

Because so many of us are having trouble getting Blogger to accept a sign-in so that we can leave comments I am trying the risky strategy of changing the settings to "Anyone". Spammers will be deleted as soon as I notice them.