Pages

Sunday 20 August 2023

A "squeaky-bum drive" to Plockton

Leaving Kinlochewe for my next campsite only 60 miles away I had plenty of time for a leisurely detour via Plockton, another fondly remembered location. Clearly I was too relaxed and getting cocky at this point because I plugged the destination into my SatNav and did not take the usual step of actually checking the route Garmin had chosen before setting off. Compared to the horror which was the built-in SatNav in my previous van, the Garmin is a trusted delight to use but she pushed me a bit hard that morning.

Second breakfast alongside Loch Carron.





The weather had returned to blue sky and gorgeous and all was wonderful until the last 4 or 5 miles as I wound down steep narrow roads. Thankfully they contained the usual passing places but on more than one occasion I thanked all the Gods and Goddesses that I had never attempted this road in Bill because I would have hated it - even in the diminutive little Blue Bus I found myself "breathing in" at times as worried-looking tourists squeezed past whilst going up a very steep hill.

It is a well known fact, of course, that breathing in makes your car or van less wide, as does clenching every muscle controlled by the somatic nervous system.

At times there were gorgeous vistas but this was not a road I was pausing on to take pictures!

And suddenly, the road opened out and I was rewarded with Plockton which, on a day under a fluffy-cloud-blue-sky looked like something out of a film set and even more delicious than I remembered. I may have spent hours and hours just wandering around enjoying the location and quickly forgot the drive to get there. Happily I used a different road to leave (the one I should have come in on - I'll know for next time).










This terrace of houses have their gardens across the road:






Across a small causeway:










Small but very interesting visitor centre:














It was a gorgeous day and I would like to go back but with so many places I want to revisit and so many new locations to explore I currently have no idea how to fit it all in.




12 comments:

  1. Lol I’m very familiar with the ‘breath In and we will pass comfortably’ action….works with town driving as well as country 😊
    Just catching up with your trip, so much history and beautiful scenery….a trip to remember definitely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Cathy, glad you are enjoying riding along with me :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh you saw some absolutely spectacularly gorgeous scenery - worth the squeaky bum drives? I should think so! Lovely photos, thanks. It's been a few years now since our last trip to Scotland and I'd almost forgotten how beautiful it is. Sadly, I doubt we'll get to go again, so thank you for all the images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, I did not set out to record so much of the trip but I seem to be creating quite a record for myself (to look back on on those long winter nights). I am glad you are enjoying peeping over my shoulder as you do not expect to visit again.

      Delete
  3. Lovely photo's, I had a mini when my girls were small and we often drove along a winding road to a beach, often we saw big vehicles coming the other way, I always told the girls to breath in as we passed, it worked for us, never knocked anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marlene. It wasn't that this particular road was smaller than others I had already done miles & miles on, but this mostly went through a wooded area so you couldn't see what was ahead. It was more like driving in Devon, which is often not at all pleasant.

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh yes, you HAVE to breathe in on tight passing places AND duck under low bridges ... it's the law. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten about ducking under low bridges. And probably height barriers although Blue Bus and I have not tried any yet.

      Delete
  5. Just glorious!
    I am familiar with the breathing in technique. It definitely works. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. {chuckle}, there seem to be a lot of employing techniques which are not in the Highway Code!

      Delete
  6. Plockton looks gorgeous. Wasn't that the location for Hamish Macbeth? It looks really familiar. I need to go and Google it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plockton is a beautiful little village and I definitely saw it on a fabulous day. Never watched Hamish Macbeth but I am not surprised because the village really does look like a TV location.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by, and to those who leave a comment, they are all very much appreciated 😎.

Comment moderation is enabled for posts older than 3 days. However, Blogger is still randomly assigning Spam designation to comments which are most definitely not and sometimes it takes me a while to find them and click publish, sorry if yours is delayed.

Because so many of us are having trouble getting Blogger to accept a sign-in so that we can leave comments I am trying the risky strategy of changing the settings to "Anyone". Spammers will be deleted as soon as I notice them.