Pages

Wednesday 9 August 2023

There is something weird about Ullapool

Had the most peaceful night at Altnaharra the only downside being constant cloud - with absolutely no lights it would be a marvellous place to look at stars and the night sky.


Another lovely single-track road drive down to Lairg and then a sharp turn right to head west.







I came into the hamlet of Elphin and saw a sign for "Craft Fair" - it would have been rude not to stop. Very lovely break chatting to like-minded people with lots of beautiful knitting and other textile crafts. I always ~want~ to spend money in these places, to put something into the local economy, but am determined not to buy things just for the sake of it. I came out with only these lovely buttons covered in Harris Tweed, no idea what I will do with them but eventually the right project will show up.



More gorgeous dawdling along small roads with outstanding views and life was happy until I got to Ullapool. Don't ask me why but this is not a place I have ever liked - not that anything particularly bad had ever happened here but on every visit the energy of the place is off and I cannot wait to get away. Today was no exception: I had thought to stop at the biggish Tesco, get fuel and some extra food bits. I was crawling along - thankfully at less than 10mph as there was (relatively) a lot of traffic around and the road was busy in both directions on the approach road to the supermarket.

I saw a man on the pavement, just standing there. He looked straight at me/my van and then stepped out in front of me. I hit the brakes and saw him smirk/sneer . . . ambulance chaser? hater of English/tourists? (there are a few of them in the Highlands), struggling with mental difficulties? Whatever the reason I was absolutely convinced his action was deliberate. Who the hell knows but it was a scare and a very near miss, strange things like this are why I won't drive without a dashcam these days. Bollocks to Tesco - that was a message to follow instinct and get the hell out of the town, resolving never to return.

And whilst that was nearly an unhappy accident, as I got close to my next campsite - Kinlochewe - it dawned on me that the destination was a very happy accident. Many years ago, Himself and I had a wonderful holiday in Torridon - one of those trips by which nearly all others have been measured. In my hurry (panic) back in Caithness to book mainland accommodation I had not registered that Kinlochewe is the gateway down to the glorious wilderness which is Loch Torridon.



Yes, you have seen this picture before but what a view - it is the final stretch of road down to the campsite with Loch Maree stretching away in the distance, there is a lovely 'proper' stopping place called the Glen Docherty Viewpoint if ever you're heading that way.




Nice campsite, lovely friendly & helpful Managers, the only downside being its attempt to secure the title of Midge Capital of the west. I suppose the chilly evenings and overnight rain were a good thing because it was nigh on impossible to get out of the van without a hoard of the little bastards flying in and I would not have been able to sit outside. Fortunately I must smell 'wrong' because they don't bite me, they are just incredibly irritating, and once in the van they're stupid enough to immediately settle on the pale van ceiling where they can be swiftly despatched with a damp tissue.




And the views from my pitch - how can you not look at that and give thanks?



Is this the most beautiful dog walk area on any campsite?










Edited later for Jules: Image downloaded from the Nature Scot website





14 comments:

  1. I've been following your journey and it looks amazing-loving all of the beautiful photos. I was wondering about the midges-those and ticks potentially in woods or on the moors puts me off a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JC, don't be put off by the local bugs. Both midges and ticks can be overcome with a small amount of common-sense. At least we don't have wildlife to contend with that wants to eat us . . .

      Delete
  2. The last photograph sets my heart all a flutter. It's so beautiful! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules, I go into a little geology-fuelled heaven whenever I am within sight of these particular lumps of rock!

      Delete
  3. I'm so far behind so I'm working backwards.
    That scenery gladdens my heart, I love a mountainous backdrop and the low cloud just adds to the drama. I loathe those bite-y bastards, thank goodness they only irritated and didn't bite you.
    How weird was that bloke's behaviour? I know what you mean about some places being a bit "off", sometimes I get that vibe, too and can't get out of there fast enough.
    I love those Harris Tweed buttons, they'd add an interesting dimension to almost anything. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello darling, you are not as far behind on my blog as I am on yours 🫢

      I was so damn lucky with the weather - everywhere further south was getting soaked and I just had the odd shower overnight, during the day it was generally much brighter than some of the cloudy pictures imply - or else the sun came out and it was T shirt time.

      That bloke was weird, and like you and Granny Sue say, don't ignore intuition.

      Delete
  4. Intuition is a true gift. That was one weird incident, scary! Here, he would have been on drugs. The views are incredible, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about drugs (I have a sheltered life 😯) but that is quite possible - beautiful, rural areas are not immune to the drug problem which seems to be so prevalent these days.

      Delete
  5. I have lovely buttons purchased just because I love them, and have often purchased yarn or material to go with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems like as good an approach as any!
      Currently absolutely no idea how I might use these but I do not want them to languish in a tub with all the other pretty ones which have been acquired "just because", they are too nice for that.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful spot. I would have bought those buttons too. A lovely souvenir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still no idea what I am going to do with them . . .

      Delete
  7. I was going to say that I love the photo of the random petrol pumps, but then the buttons popped up. They are glorious. I think I would be making cushions just so that I could use those buttons in the centre of a couple of them, what a lovely little souvenir to take home with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. Aren't those petrol pumps sad?
      I ~think~ I know what I am going to do with the buttons but it is very much a winter/wood burner/hand sewing project. They are far too lovely to be put in the big tub where an over-large collection of similar items has taken up permanent residence so they are pinned on the board in my sewing room and I can see them every day.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by, and to those who leave a comment, they are all very much appreciated 😎.

Comment moderation is enabled for posts older than 3 days. However, Blogger is still randomly assigning Spam designation to comments which are most definitely not and sometimes it takes me a while to find them and click publish, sorry if yours is delayed.

Because so many of us are having trouble getting Blogger to accept a sign-in so that we can leave comments I am trying the risky strategy of changing the settings to "Anyone". Spammers will be deleted as soon as I notice them.