Pages

Tuesday 29 August 2023

A different route home

I cannot lie - the journey up to the Highlands two weeks earlier had not been one of my best. Traffic on the motorway around Glasgow was foul, getting over the Erskine bridge was quite unpleasant and the 'top section' of the A82 as it runs next to Loch Lomond was horrible in the extreme (and I later found out that an hour or so after I went through it was closed because of an accident for three hours, thankfully no-one was seriously hurt this time but it a dangerous stretch of tarmac).

I vowed I was coming home a different way and wow, am I glad I did so.

Usual route, (thick blue line on the left) versus new route (pale line on the right). According to mapping software it was only 6 miles further but goodness, the contrast in journey was "night & day". My revised route was on decent quality tarmac, not at all busy, and I got to drive through a section of the Trossachs National Park which I do not think I have been to before. Quite gorgeous and I've found another area I want to come back to.



Somewhere near Callander I saw a sign for an Antique Centre and on impulse turned off the road. A few hundred yards later I was parked outside:



Oh, that was a fun hour . . . lots of different vendors under one roof, cleverly arranged so that you constantly got lost and had to turn around and around to make sure you hadn't missed anything. Sensible prices too, nothing like the exhorbitant charity shop prices in Fort William. I came home with a wicker basket from this first display, probably no age to it but exactly what I needed for the other side of our slate hearth, and the bonus of reminding me of a lovely journey every time I take some kindling.









I was tempted here but managed to resist. This Kodak is the first camera I ever owned, I must have been about 10 years old.






When I parked Blue Bus I had seen a large area roped off. When I came out I found lots of new arrivals - the Morgan Owners Group were out for lunch and what a fabulous sight on a slightly damp and overcast day.








The rest of my drive was remarkably uneventful and far less tiring than the dreaded A82 with the motorway from Stirling especially traffic-free. So much so that when I got to Carlisle I had the energy to stop at Sainsbury's and do a massive household shop because I needed a fridge full of fresh vegetables.


And then back to Bag End.

14 days
1300 miles
6 campsites
800 photos

Countless memories and so many extra places on the "I need to visit" list that I seriously wonder if I will live long enough to get to them all!

Thank you for coming along on this journey and for sharing my memories. I've really appreciated the company. 🥰









16 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing you fantastic journey with us. I've loved the photos.
    Wish I was brave enough to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, thank you.
      It DOES NOT TAKE BRAVERY to do a trip like this and I wish more older ladies felt able to do so. I feel a blog post coming on . . .

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you shared your incredible trip, I loved every minute. I do hope it inspires more women to travel solo. I can't drive but I've had a few overseas adventures on my own and had an absolutely brilliant time. It's so empowering to travel alone. I hope you do publish a blog post on travelling alone.
    That antique centre looks great, the basket a very useful souvenir, too. My first camera was Mum's Box Brownie but I was treated to a snazzy Kodak Instamatic when I passed my Eleven Plus. I still remember that temporary blindness after activating the flash.
    Aren't those Morgans gorgeous - and locally made to us, too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vix, thank you so much for your encouragement - a draft has been written :-)
      Temporary blindness - did your camera have one of those separate flash units that you pushed blue bulbs into?

      Delete
  3. All areas so well known to me. Mind you I don't use the A82 any more when 'going' somewhere. Callander is like a second home to me and the Antiques Centre is wonderful for a good browse. Unfortunately this year the two main routes to the Outer Isles from Glasgow have both been beset by accident after accident. I'm glad that you had a good time. Haste ye back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graham, I hope I have done justice to your homeland. 😉 I cannot see any solution to the A82/Loch Lomond road that does not mean more traffic going through the (currently) quiet and peaceful Trossachs. And yes, the accident toll this year has been dreadful.

      I did not avail myself of the cafe at the Antique Centre, mostly because the MOG had filled it up, but it did look nice.

      Delete
  4. A really excellent trip, thanks for sharing all the photos of your journey and your lovely Blue friend.

    That antique centre looks just like one of my favourite places to visit, GB Antiques in Lancaster near us. I always end up buying something so it's a dangerous place to visit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. I guess I could investigate GB Antiques if I were heading your way . . . but yes, they can be dangerous places to visit. I very nearly came back from Scotland with an extremely nice piece of mid-century Ercol. It would have just fitted in the van, sigh.

      Delete
  5. Far too many things have been left underfunded and therefore have failing levels of service, so many think things should be cheap and now years later so much is failing, the ferry is just another in a very long line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, compounded by politicians who are no longer prepared to make difficult, long-term decisions but only those which might them get re-elected in the next election cycle.

      Delete
  6. I have enjoyed your posts so much! You had quite the adventure. I would have enjoyed that antique store too. And do you know, I think i stayed in Penrith in 2019, my last trip to the UK. So was quite close to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a small world we live in, I'm about 30 miles from Penrith which, given how far you travelled, could be considered right next door :-)

      Delete
  7. 800 photographs is impressive going! I have so loved reading all about your adventures, even if it has been several days after everyone else :) Where do you think you would like to return to first of all? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jules, don't worry about being behind everyone else - I've been back a month and only just finished my account! Am still working on the 'Highlights' reel but Sue & Vix's comments about single/older women has had my keyboard busy.
      But if I had to pick somewhere right this minute, it would probably be Morvich.

      Delete
  8. Well, that answers my traffic question from your more recent post :D. Ugh to that but yay for a lovely alternative. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my lovely. Usual traffic issues - too many vehicles for the amount of tarmac. The alternative was quite lovely.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by, and to those who leave a comment, they are all very much appreciated 😎.

Comment moderation is enabled for posts older than 3 days. However, Blogger is still randomly assigning Spam designation to comments which are most definitely not and sometimes it takes me a while to find them and click publish, sorry if yours is delayed.

Because so many of us are having trouble getting Blogger to accept a sign-in so that we can leave comments I am trying the risky strategy of changing the settings to "Anyone". Spammers will be deleted as soon as I notice them.