Pages

Friday 11 August 2023

Days like this . . . Part one, Torridon Village

Every now and again a day comes along which is quite magic, the one which you hold jealousy to yourself and bring out the memory in the dark days of a long winter. This one had wall-to-wall sunshine, some of my favourite scenery in the world and just flowed in Soft Time from start to finish. If a day had an anthem this one would be Elbow:

Throw those curtains wide. One day a year like this would see me right

First great thing? The weather! Whilst most of England was under a deluge I was basking in sunshine, fluffy clouds and 18 degrees.




Then there was a newly resurfaced road through Glen Torridon which was a delight to drive along.



A 20 minute wait whilst the road was closed so that some passing places could be resurfaced resulted in a mixture of holiday makers from England, Holland, Germany and Australia all wandering around enjoying the environment and not the slightest bit bothered about the delay. The same cannot be said for a couple of vans with workmen who were just trying to get through a day's work and were thoroughly grumpy but who can blame them, whilst the rest of us were on vacation they were trying to earn a living. Nonetheless it was quite lovely (and not just today) to see how other people travel and hear their stories.



It took over an hour to travel nine miles and it was time for brunch when I finally arrived in Torridon village.








The rest of the time was idly spent doing very little at all - wandering around, coffee in the village shop, random (interesting) conversations with strangers, and just sitting staring at this:






Of course the place has changed since I was last there but the scenery, the space, the clean air, all were still quite magical. There was a temptation to go another few miles down the very narrow dead-end road to where we last stayed but I did not. That was a special trip when we watched otters EVERY SINGLE AFTERNOON and part of me didn't want to go back, be disappointed and break the spell. Maybe another time?

A scan of a not-very-good-to-start-with 30-year old picture:



(oh dammit, I am going to have to go back, and stay, so that I am there at the right time of day to see these beautiful creatures which I know still live in the area)






16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I am so glad you are enjoying the pictures, and thank you again for saying so. I did not mean to embark upon a day-by-day account but heck, my blog - my choices and it will be lovely to look back on in January when all is wet and foul outside. I am afraid you are only on Day 8. 😉

      Delete
  2. Absolutely wonderful scenery - and really looking forward to seeing the otters' photos when you next visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Rosemary. With such positivity & optimism you had better come with me, x

      Delete
  3. I am enjoying your daily accounts of your holiday. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marjorie. Comments like yours make it all worthwhile. :-)

      Delete
  4. Stunning, the chances of us ever visiting such remote places are small, so I love your photo's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you are enjoying your vicarious travel.

      Delete
  5. Just beautiful. I can see why you love it so much. Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am realistic - would not want to live there but it is a delightful place to visit.

      Delete
  6. Blue Bus once again sitting so perfectly in the landscape, she was made for your sort of travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly Sue, being in her is so effortless. Bill was great but this is a whole new level of ease.
      Saw these hybrid vans last night on TV - nice and eco-friendly . . . just right for you and Suky.
      https://campervanco.com/product/toyota-alphard-hybrid-eco-pioneer/

      Delete
  7. Just divine. I could spend all day soaking up those views. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jules. I did spend (nearly) all day drinking in those views 😉, and there are a gazillion more photos than I could possibly share here which I will revisit in the middle of January. ⛈️ ⛈️

      Delete
  8. A wonderful choice of anthem! That Elbow song always has me smiling.
    The scenery is fantastic and I agree with Sue about Blue Blus, she sits amidst those views beautifully. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you m'dear, and for slogging through the backlog of posts which I published whilst you were away having a wonderful festival 😍.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by, and to those who leave a comment, they are all very much appreciated 😎.

Comment moderation is enabled for posts older than 3 days. However, Blogger is still randomly assigning Spam designation to comments which are most definitely not and sometimes it takes me a while to find them and click publish, sorry if yours is delayed.

Because so many of us are having trouble getting Blogger to accept a sign-in so that we can leave comments I am trying the risky strategy of changing the settings to "Anyone". Spammers will be deleted as soon as I notice them.