Pages

Tuesday 13 June 2023

Castle Kennedy Garden in May

Over multiple trips to this corner of Scotland I have visited every garden in the area, some several times. This is hands-down, no questions, the best of them all. And probably the most friendly and best value too - shaded carparking, dogs can wander around with their people, and not expensive. For me, May is the prime time to visit because of the Rhododendron and Azalea collection. And possibly my favourite is the massively scented Azalea luteum, which is going to have to be added to the Bag End collection very soon.

I find scent very difficult to describe but this is somewhere along the lines of vanilla and gorse (think pineapple & coconut), but it isn't any of those things either. It is a scent which travels on a warm day and I've been known to sit under a bush for some considerable time just trying to absorb it all and imprint the memory on my brain. If someone can accurately describe it I would be very grateful!



I mean, just look at this - and entire avenue of yellow heaven:




Enough waffle, here's the eye-candy.



























14 comments:

  1. Lovely photos, but funnily enough I'm not really into visiting gardens, unless it's a kitchen garden. I prefer architecture. I could sit and look at old buildings all day long ... yes Alan thinks I'm mad. My Dad was just the same over buildings and wooden things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not funny at all Sue, I am not a fan of formal gardens, but I think I love Castle Kennedy so much because it is more like walking through woodland.

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a treat! That magnificent castle reminds me of Sissinghurst and the avenue of yellow heaven is beautiful, it must look like the sun's always shining on it even on the gloomiest of days. I love seeing the ferns slowly unfurling, full of hope and expectations for Summer. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Vix, I would not want to heat that castle, or maintain the roof, but it does look wonderful.

      Delete
  3. It's a gardens and a place beyond my ken. I have, however, put it on my "list".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham, I do hope you get there one day but wear comfy shoes - I generally cover 7 or 8 miles if I spend all day wandering around.

      Delete
  4. OMG! T'is certainly a beautiful garden. Just caught up on your June posts & so glad to see you in blogland again. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. And just like Graham, I have added it to my ever growing list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think both you and the rapidly-growing-Small-Person would enjoy the wandering around.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a lovely comment on my post about Our Millie, so kind of you.

    Loved looking at your beautiful photos of Castle Kennedy, looks like a stunning place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie, I am just sorry we met under such "sh**e" circumstances. Thinking of you. x

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by, and to those who leave a comment, they are all very much appreciated 😎.

Comment moderation is enabled for posts older than 3 days. However, Blogger is still randomly assigning Spam designation to comments which are most definitely not and sometimes it takes me a while to find them and click publish, sorry if yours is delayed.

Because so many of us are having trouble getting Blogger to accept a sign-in so that we can leave comments I am trying the risky strategy of changing the settings to "Anyone". Spammers will be deleted as soon as I notice them.