Pages

Friday 30 June 2023

May Contain Mild Peril? **

** which has got to be the most stupid 'viewing warning' ever applied to anything.

The eagle-eyed may have noticed a countdown box over on the right. I installed it a little while ago and have been vacillating between excited joy and stomach-churning anxiety ever since.

Blue Bus and I are soon to go on a Big Adventure. By the standards of normal people this is probably not much of an adventure at all, but to me It. Is. Big. It is a trip which has been on my "one day" list for years and years.

🚙     I thought I would head off in Bill but I never wanted to leave Daisy for too long.
🚙     Then I did not have Daisy-dog but was too miserable to organise myself to get away.
🚙     Then we had a badly handled pandemic and bonkers lockdowns so no-one could.
🚙     Then I had the crushing fatigue and brain-fog of Long-Covid so I could not.

And now I have no bloomin' excuses at all and I am in the middle of reviewing my packing for a mere two week jolly (see, I told you it was probably nothing by other people's reckoning!)

The peril is not the 14 day trip. Nor is the peril the fact that it's the furthest I will have been, on my own, for many years.

This is the peril:



I have to go on a ship, a big one, because it's the only way to reach the islands which I have dreamed about for as long as I can remember. Although that is not strictly true - I could get a flight from Inverness and then rent a car.  Not going to happen . . .

I love looking at the sea. I can sit on a beach and watch the tide roll in and out for endless hours. I am, however, seriously afraid of the SEA, of deep water, of not having my feet (and wheels) firmly on dry land. I reserve the right to spend the entire crossing standing next to the lifeboats.

Two weeks today, at right about when I press "Publish" I should be pulling into Fort William for lunch.

If there is a good signal, if I am not too busy sitting just drinking in the island air, I will try and share a little whilst I am away.



17 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you! Have an utterly brilliant time. I can't wait to read your travel posts when you're bcak (not that I want to wish your holiday away). Loads of love. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear, looking forward to your next travel report as well 😊

      Delete
  2. How wonderful - what an adventure

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting. Enjoy your adventure. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to be grown up and not over-excited ðŸĪĢ

      Delete
  4. There’s a saying (actually I think it might be classed as a proverb) about a journey and the first step…..you definitely need to step onto that ferry and enjoy your dream/adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going Cathy, it's all booked and paid for!

      Delete
  5. Excellent news. I look forward to see where you're going. Pentalina sails to Orkney but, obviously, not from Fort William. So I am intrigued. PS I'm hoping that this appears. My last comments have disappeared into the ether. I'm assuming that Comment moderation is still not enabled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think a ferry from fort William would be the most efficient sailing. ðŸĪŠ
      But F.W. is on my route to the Highlands where I am going to have a couple of days near Inverness before heading to Caithness, and then as you rightly observe - a ferry to Orkney ðŸū 🎉 ⛴️

      Delete
    2. Well I'm sure that you'll love Orkney and the Orcadians.

      Delete
    3. PS I shall be very interested to know what Pentalina is like to travel on.

      Delete
    4. Cheers Graham, I do not think there is any doubt about how much I will love the place and people. (Case in point - a lady whom I only know through blogging has already offered me 'proper' accommodation if the weather turns too disgusting to be in the van or if I have any problems - people can be so wonderful.)

      As for Pentalina, I will let you know. Of course, it should be MV Alfred but thanks to the SNP's complete inability to manage procurement, the old girl is back in service. I am sure you know more about the current debacle than I do 🙄.

      Delete
  6. Missed this post & I agree with you about ships/sea etc. and seems like you, I'm not a fan of deep water, rolling from side to side with ship movement, but do love sitting on the beach, paddling & enjoying the sound of waves lapping on the shore. Enjoy your time away, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant, now that really is an ADVENTURE. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adventure with a capital "A" - one week today I will nearly be at my first overnight stop . . .
      Excited much? Yeah, already walking around with a big grin on my face 😄😄

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by, and to those who leave a comment, they are all very much appreciated 😎.

Comment moderation is enabled for posts older than 3 days. However, Blogger is still randomly assigning Spam designation to comments which are most definitely not and sometimes it takes me a while to find them and click publish, sorry if yours is delayed.

Because so many of us are having trouble getting Blogger to accept a sign-in so that we can leave comments I am trying the risky strategy of changing the settings to "Anyone". Spammers will be deleted as soon as I notice them.