Pages

Sunday 9 July 2023

Happily mired in list making

Right now I have lists all over the place. The best places for my lists are notebooks and on multiple pieces of (organised) paper because if I try to keep everything in my head it all goes horribly wrong. I have always been a List Maker and not going to change now - this is what works for me, your mileage might vary.

There are lists for campsites, clothes, places I want to visit if I have the time, places I ~have~ to be at a precise time because I had to pre-book a ticket, but the biggest and most complex list is for food.



Me and eating is not simple, oh how I wish it was. A combination of borderline diabetes, semi-vegetarian and a couple of things I have to avoid because they make me feel like shite* means I cannot just pop into whichever cafe/restaurant looks nice and order whatever I fancy off the menu.

Whilst it would be lovely to make the spontaneous decision to order fish & chips because they smell sooooo good walking past a chippie (and I'd probably enjoy every mouthful) I would not enjoy feeling like cr*p for hours afterwards so most of the time it is far less stressful and easier to take my own meals wherever I go.

(* have you noticed how much Rapeseed Oil is in our food these days . . . sigh)

All the regular pre-holiday lists pale into nothingness when compared with trying to get my head around two weeks worth of three meals a day plus snacks with a just two gas rings, a very small fridge and even smaller freezer compartment.

But it will be so, so worth it especially as once I have settled on the first 7 or 8 days I will just put the cycle on rinse & repeat, AND know that I have created a blueprint for a [not-yet-booked-but-being-thought-about] September trip, and each adventure thereafter. Once I have organised everything for Orkney I don't need to reinvent the wheel each time I go away.

Which is the P-L-A-N, but if you remember the old Bag End garden/house/dog blog you will know that plan is a 4-letter word!

Talking of dog . . .








12 comments:

  1. Oh geez, you're going to Orkney??? How i wish I could tag along. I have wanted to visit there for 20 years or more. Cannot wait for your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is any consolation Sue, this trip has taken me 20 years to get round to as well and I will be delighted to have you tag along!

      I am going to try and post the odd picture as I go, but failing that I can promise (threaten?) a Neolithic overload when I get back.

      Delete
  2. K & I understand eating out dilemmas & why we have a caravan too, to go away. I love the bits of Scotland I've seen & had the dream of seeing Skye when I was shown beautiful pictures when I was around 8 years-old by my great grandmother in a Country Life magazine. Finally went close to 60 years later. Oh....Daisy, you still melt my heart. Enjoy the break, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan.
      Yes - Daisy still melts hearts.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely nothing wrong with loads of list, keeps your mind tidy, we always took our own food in our camper van for the same reasons, with my allergies and dislikes it was much easier, and we could camp away from the crowds. Lovely photo of Daisy, they live on in your heart forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You nailed it - lists mean there is room for more interesting stuff πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  4. Recently I have learnt the art of writing my lists in a notebook, so much less likely to be lost or 'recycled' than scraps of paper. My go to for ease of ingredients when I'm travelling light or have minimal storage space is pasta and jars of pesto. Just recently I have been trying Deliciously Ella's new ranges of sauces, peanut butters, flapjack style bars etc which although they do contain some rapeseed oil, it's usually low down on the ingredients list and I have been fine with them.

    Heart melted. Daisy love. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm at the multi-level stage with lists πŸ˜† Bits of paper for short-term reminders, important stuff copied into notebooks for exactly the reasons you describe, and the ones I really want to be reminded about are photographed and then accessible on phone/iPad.

      Not got a square inch spare in fridge now, but will look at the Ella range when I am back.
      xxx πŸΎπŸ’š

      Delete
  5. I can understand your need for lists, and I am exactly the same. I don't know how anyone can manage without one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jules, you know where you are with a good list! (as long as you know where the list is 🫒)

      Delete
  6. That's just what's going down in our house right now, frantic scribbling of lists and cupboard rummaging to create a week's worth of 3 meals a day that can be prepared within minutes and left to go cold if we get customers who need attention.
    Daisy melts my heart, too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck my sweet. I expect some people think that festival trading is all peace, love & fun without realising just how much damn hard work has to happen before you even leave home. xx

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by, and to those who leave a comment, they are all very much appreciated 😎.

Comment moderation is enabled for posts older than 3 days. However, Blogger is still randomly assigning Spam designation to comments which are most definitely not and sometimes it takes me a while to find them and click publish, sorry if yours is delayed.

Because so many of us are having trouble getting Blogger to accept a sign-in so that we can leave comments I am trying the risky strategy of changing the settings to "Anyone". Spammers will be deleted as soon as I notice them.